Friday, April 22, 2011

What's the difference between Snickers and Baby Ruth?

What’s the difference between a Snickers bar and a Baby Ruth? Both chocolate candy bars contain milk chocolate, peanuts, caramel and nougat. However they provide two different and unique tastes.

Snickers is a chocolate candy bar made by Mars, Incorporated. It consists of peanut nougat topped with roasted peanuts and caramel, covered in milk chocolate. The Snickers bar was first introduced in 1930 by the Mars family. The name originated from the owners’ favorite horse.

Baby Ruth is a chocolate candy bar made by Nabisco. It consist of chocolate-covered peanuts, caramel, and nougat, though the nougat found in it is more like fudge compared to that of a Snickers bar. It was introduced in 1900, originally called the Kandy Kake. The Curtiss Candy Company took a controversial move to rename the candy bar, Baby Ruth. Despite noticeable coincidences, the Curtiss Candy Company claims that the candy bar was named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter, Ruth Cleveland (died 17 years before named changed) and not famous baseball player Babe Ruth (Rise to fame began in 1921).

In comparing the two I discovered very few differences. Snickers has creamier caramel and chocolate that tends to stay intact opposed to Baby Ruth’s' chocolate that has a tendency to crumble and lay flakes of chocolate. Baby Ruth uses whole peanuts and tends to have a higher ratio of peanuts compared to Snickers’ use of split peanuts. The biggest difference between the two seems to be the placement of the ingredients. Snickers have nougat, caramel, and peanuts covered in chocolate. While a Baby Ruth is basically peanuts around nougat center covered in chocolate.

So it boils down to, Do you prefer your peanuts in chocolate (Snickers) or your chocolate in peanuts (Baby Ruth). I'm in the majority in saying that Snickers is the better choice but that's just our opinion. “To each it’s own”. I’ll take the peanuts in chocolate. Or maybe I’ll try some almonds in chocolate (Snickers with Almonds)

19 comments:

  1. Hmm...thx for the information of the two chocolates. I was planning to buy myself a more crunchier type so I got for Baby Ruth~~~<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh, Snickers tastes more like Snickers and BabyRuth tastes more like a BabyRuth.

    Unless they are different, then that's a totally nother story.

    BAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like snickers and baby ruth but if I was forced to pick one it would be baby ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like snickers and baby ruth but if I was forced to pick one it would be baby ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post, interesting stuff! Good explanation. This was the first thing that came up when I googled "difference between a snickers and a baby ruth". I also prefer snickers to baby ruth, snickers almost has a peanut buttery-ness to and baby ruth a peanuty-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I get either with dark chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baby Ruth is by far my fave. Not as sweet and very peanutty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To all who say Baby Ruth is better than snickers....
    Do you also like boiling children alive before you eat them?
    Because y’all monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Ruth is better. And no, their screams are too obnoxious to boil alive. They aren't lobsters

      Delete
  9. I find snickers to be more like a nougat peanut caramel and it's quite sweet. Baby Ruth is not so sweet and quite crunchy. That's my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spot on. Snickers is more creamy and sweet. Just had a Baby Ruth which was peanut. I am now having a twix which is just cookie, caramel and chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snickers versus Baby Ruth? I've been wondering, but it doesn't matter. I'm loving both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Snickers better but now that I know Baby Ruth was first and Snickers is a copycat most likely... I'm changing to Baby Ruth.

    ReplyDelete